Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pitchfork Sunday Highlights

Pitchfork 2012 Sunday was a hot one to put it mildly!

I arrived around 4pm (later than the previous day) to meet up with some friends and chat since the only bands I really wanted to see were the main acts (Beach House & Vampire Weekend) anything else was a bonus.

The Men were definitely worth checking out. feel good, upbeat and nostaglic of the early 9O's circa Blues Traveler or a mix of that and what the new Gaslight Anthem album sounds like. Fans were digging it and talking about the set all around me while drinking beer under a shaded tree

By the time Beach House set started around 7:10pm it had cooled down drastically. The sun set and I was lying on a blanket talking to a new friend about our latest musical obsessions and muching on some snacks. (Note to self, food at festivals runs out at the end of the day, and unless you want to purchase a gross vegan gyro for $7) try to hide something small in your purse! (I learned that lesson the hard way!) But my new friend was gracious enough to share a cookie and I was golden.

The stage itself was beautiful, ethereal lights, black and white dotted set (as per the Myth cover art) and it was just ''chilllll'' exactly what everyone needed at that moment, some fans might have preferred a livelier energy but those fans could easily go see the Fields(electronica set) at the next stage over.

It got significantly darker outside and Vampire Weekend was set to go on in about 10 minutes. Much to my surprise people started leaving before the set even began! I guess the 2 years stint since Contra released left fans unwanting for more. (They in fact didn't play any new material) and after awhile I was bored so I left with my friends. Although they did play "'Diplomat's Son'' which was my favorite. The ''mini'' pitchfork fans or kids under the age of 10 seemed to really enjoy them. I saw the cutest little redhead girl with Ray Bans, a bow, and a plastic wand that lit up. I took a picture (which I'll add later or you can see my facebook page)

I was disappointed in the band/set itself but the energy despite their best efforts was low. Whether that was the fault of the band or just end of day fatigue I'm not sure. I am hopeful that their next album will mix it up and won't just be ''vacation music'' the band needs to evolve to keep up the pace with all the new independent, experimental, & eager musicans who are still making a name for themselves. Not so long ago Vampire Weekend were in that catagory, but classic example of how a band can dlose their passion and drive for the art and become ''too mainstream''!


The end:)

No comments:

Post a Comment