Friday, July 13, 2012

Fiona Apple at the Chicago Theater

Okay so I was a bit distracted but Fiona Apple's show 7/10/12 was in a few words: dynamic, raw, and exposed.

When I read the interview Fiona did with Spin (mentioned a few posts ago) I felt like I knew her, but I wondered how this energy and persona would translate on stage, would she be manic? sullen? controlled? contrived? would the performance be genius? Would she play any of her old songs or would she be one of those ''I'm moving on'' artists?

I couldn't take my eyes off of her she seemed to transform into a different persona with each song, so unpredictable from her vocal choices from a whisper to an animalistic growl and ethereal dance moves. to the variety of songs on the setlist. See below compliments of Setlistfm

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fiona-apple/2012/chicago-theatre-chicago-il-3bdf405c.html




 Fiona's tiny but definitely toned and fit physique it was hard to imagine such a big voice coming from such a small person. I couldn't wait to see what she would do next.

Her songs are definitely emotional and her lyrics leave her exposed from her own personal flaws maybe a bit impulsive or self distructive or feeling of isolation or the highs and lows of a relationship. I can relate most to the song ''Daredevil'' how people can be the source of their own undoing and as much as they try to avoid a wreck something inside just refuses to walk the other way. She phrases things poetically, and eloquently that it leads me to believe that even if she didn't choose the path of a singer her words could've easily translated into another medium that demands attention.


Fiona is a performer that feeds off of her emotions. From pounding the piano keys in a fit of rage, to simply standing alone a the microphone cooing. The audience can tell that the song lyrics are of her own and they have very real and deep meaning to her. She's constantly in the moment taking herself back to the time in which the words were written with little regard to any distractions around her.

Especially on ''Anything We Want'' Get Gone''


Her execution of ''Extraordinary Machine'' was playful and charming in contrast with her angst and rage fans fell in love with her many different personas. Her fans are absolutely enamored of her not a whole song could go by without multiple chants of encouragement from the crowd. I do know some of her lyrics but the crowd as a whole sang along with every line. I'm lucky to be included with such dedicated fans and to share in the many joys and sorrows, and the different sides of the most dynamic and touching performer I've ever seen.

Well done Fiona. Easily best performance I've seen since Bon Iver in January :)

No comments:

Post a Comment