Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pitchfork Saturday Highlights

I went to Pitchfork Music festival 2 weeks ago, (I know I'm late to report) Upon arrival Saturday morning it started to pour!

Dozens & dozens of fans came unprepared buying ponchos from street vendors,  an umbrella and sunscreen come standard in my kit of emergency tools for outdoor festivals.

For those of you who have never been to Pitchfork there are 3 stages right in the center of the park (Blue, Red & Green) the vendors (jewelery, records, hand painted posters, food, books) *(all of my personal favorite things) were in the back. They were even giving out free sunglasses and VitaCoco compliments of Cushee a footwear company.

I eagerly awaited the rain to cease so that Cults could come out and play. Brian 1/2 of the duo came out and was tuning guitars greeting fans, and then the main event. Madeline and Brian started to play. I saw them open for Foster the People last fall and while I was a huge fan, her voice was so quiet it was hard to hear (and we were in the first 6 rows!) so I was very wary of how they were going to translate on a larger festival scale.

Much to my surprise they killed it, everyone was dancing and singing along the one thing that surprised me was the diversity of the fans, (any one of them could've been taken right out of an Urban Outfitters catalogue. I felt kind of wonky in comparison with my Disney tinkerbell cropped tank and pink Converse) but once I spoke to a few strangers I fit right in:) That's the beauty of music, it includes not excludes people and brings strangers from all walks of life together singing in unison (*enter hippie acoustic version of Kum Bai Ya*) lol

The next notable band was Wild Flag (a girl band comprised of members of Sleater Kinney) I think they get a bad rap from the younger crowd who only see them as '' older broads past their prime rocking out in a band''--Some variation of this quote was heard by a friend on the train. I thought they sounded great, lots of energy and the guitarist did the trick of playing over her head. I liked it best when the girls just jammed without any vocals. I could've listened to that all day. They brought a sound that seemed authetic and retro at the same time.


Save the best for last-- SLEIGH BELLS stole the entire day! they were everything I expected and more, shredded guitars, heavy beats, and angelic vocals. Allison came out in her standard jean shorts fish nets, leather jacket and white tank top. To say she is charming and engaging with the crowd would be an understatement.  It was hard to see I had to watch most of the show from the projected screen but the beats were undeniable I had to dance!--- Let me stress the fact that during shows I'm not much of a dancer I'm comfortable head bobbing or swaying from side to side but at this show I WAS dancing my ass off! Zumba can kiss it! by the end of the set I was drenched and felt great. There was a couple easily in their fifties with their lawn chairs that I was standing by and they were dancing and partying as much as the younger people. Even though I had most of their songs already on my Itunes I went home and made sure  they were on my IPod, anytime I hear them it takes me back to how much fun I had and how just for a moment I didn't think about anything but the music. (I had an extremely rough work week) and in that moment for that day I just allowed myself to be consumed by everything that I loved. I just felt lucky.

 Sleigh Bells are a must see!

No comments:

Post a Comment