Friday, May 10, 2013

30 Seconds to Mars @ Chicago Cultural Center 5/9/13

A friend of mine was lucky enough to get some tickets to the Q87.7 sponsored 30 Seconds to Mars concert @ the Chicago Cultural Center.

First time at the venue, my friend informed me that it used to be a Chicago library, as I looked up at the cathedral ceiling and along the walls you could see quotes of famous authors. It reminded me of one of my favorite movies ''With Honors'' Joe Pesci's character is mistaken for Walt Whitman the author and he's at Widner Library @ Harvard he says:

''This library is like a church, and when you're in church do you ever look up and wonder what people are praying for? This library is like that for me''

Perfect quote to describe this venue and the hardcore fans.

The show started off with a mini documentary about the band overcoming a lawsuit and self doubt in order to persue releasing a record, and the steady decline of the record industry as a whole.

Follwed by the new video for the single "Up in the Air'' off their upcoming album Love Lust Faith + Dreams (May 21 release) (Also this blogger's birthday!)


After listening to some tracks this morning post concert. I can tell you that Up in the Air, and almost every  one of the previously released singles, will be on repeat in your head, but that it pales in comparison to the energy you feel watching a live performance.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9uSyICrtow

I wasn't expecting the electro beat dance aspect of the single but the element of surprise made me love it more, as with most of my experiences with this particular band, I like the songs well enough but they grow on me over time and then I'm hooked.. on the melody, the grit of the vocal coming from inarguably handsome lead singer Jared Leto. 

He seems geninuely comfortable on stage, there were moments that I definitely appreciated his artistic license on an acoustic song, whose name escapes me. He lives in the moment, feeding off of the crowd's energy. He demanded crowd participation, and he received it with great volume and enthusiasm. This will sound childish and sappy, but  I felt like a high school kid again, shocked that I am invited to an awesome party where the ''in crowd'' is actually connected to me, not far removed.  Leto is humble, interactive, and grateful for the fan support. I  A quality I find lacking with musicians or anyone labeled ''successful'' in the entertainment business today, Whether they are up & coming bands glorified by the press or seasoned musicians that have been making music longer than I've been alive. Devoted fans combined with a savy and geniune marketing and promotion will make a good band great!

Photos Courtesy of N.R.






 At the show if you pre-ordered their new album for $15.00, and that buys you a meet & greet/signing with the band, AND they are holding a contest to fly to L.A. to hang out with the band and sleep at Jared Leto's house! Even if you're not the biggest fan, that would appeal to anyone with an heart and a mind for music.

They invited fans to come up on stage and dance with him. I swear he saw my black faux RayBans (that he wore during the first song of the night) and he was pointing at me, but alas, a jersey sporting Mom beat me to it) At least we had a ''moment.""

The band may be returning to Chicago soon. I made my friend promise we'd go back and see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment