Thursday, March 21, 2013

Company of Thieves at City Winery

It's been said on more than one occasion what a big fan I am of Chicago based band Company of Thieves..

It's also a well known fact that I am an avid wine drinker.. so COT playing an acoustic set at City Winery is damn near perfection! I say near..for more details on my experience of City Winery read the Yelp review found here
http://www.yelp.com/biz/city-winery-chicago-chicago#hrid:e0IJxw-ItZOmA7MsrO1mwg

This was the 2nd night COT did an acoustic set at this venue, but I wasn't able to attend the previous show due to a scheduling conflict/attending ZZ Ward at Lincoln Hall.

For readers/listeners who are not familiar with the band.. It's difficult for me to place this band in a specific genre they're not all rock, but not exactly pop, more on the folk side with soul tendencies? That doesn't quite do them justice at all. I mean how do you describe something beautiful and sexy? It just exists.

I can tell you the set list perfectly combined old & new from ''Ordinary Riches'' to the most recent "Running from a Gamble'' lead singer Genevieve Schatz has grown into her musician/improvisational license having gained more touring experience under her belt since I last saw the band live. She's gained a sense of security and comfort in her own skin. A quality I've always admired in women in general.



This was also the perfect set & venue for me to actually hear what a great guitarist Marc is! He excels at acoustic playing, but I feel like I've never had the chance to experience the stripped down/fundamentals of the songs I've grown so familiar with. I hate to compare him to John Mayer's playing because it seems very cliche to do so. But like Genevieve he seemed to be very natural in his progressions and improvisational arrangements. It was downright sexy! Combine that with the guest appearance from Mike Memone on piano, (the opener) some of the most beautiful arrangements I've ever heard. It's rare that you can find an accomplished pianist who wont put you to sleep with ''old classics'' or ''bar tunes'' but MM acccomplished the task flawlessly. A true professional.

Saving the best for last!-- My favorite and recently released on YouTube cover of Lauryn Hill's ''Ex-Factor"--which at first sight seems like a mismatch of genres but sometimes opposites attract and magic happens!-- CHECK IT OUT
I'm desperately hoping that the band will release an acoustic album or at the very least an EP! I will immediately encourage every one I know to start listening to it. This performance made me fall in love with the band all over again. The storytelling in each song is unique, captivating and their message and passion for music is clearly received and charms each and every fan.





No comments:

Post a Comment