Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Boxer Rebellion Live Review 5/4/12

Boxer Rebellion is a rock alt band from the UK most famously featured in the movie Going the Distance with Drew Barrymore & Justin Long

I actually came across the band before the movie, I think I remember hearing a song of theirs on a car commercial, from their album the Union.

The show was at Lincoln Hall & Sold Out.(Its always bittersweet when I attend a sold out show,) It on the one hand  makes me happy because it in a sense confirms that yes I do have decent taste in music, (outside of just my humble ear & opinion) But then I get jealous as if a secret's been let out, and I was the only one who knew it from the start--How good a band is I mean.   How could I pass up the chance to possibly meet my new UK musical soulmate boyfriend?:) I couldn't. Even though a few other friends were going to see M83 at the Riv the same night.--I did meet the drummer Piers at the merch table

My friends Adam & Kristen, met me there, such good sports they are never really having heard any of the songs before, they trusted my judgement. I also met a BR fan whose seen the band 4 times and has spent alot of time in the UK. We bonded over our musical likes & dislikes and general love of British culutre. I was happy to make a new friend.

Glad to say none of us were disappointed. Even the opening band was great, Canon Blue, although Adam was not impressed wtih their style. (skinny jeans & all) they were great, fun, dance-y energy, not unlike MGMT, if I had to compare them to someone. Playful beats the guitarist doubled as a keyboardist.(Met him (Vince) at the merch table too. A few of the songs on their album are named after cities. I think they need more time to develop into a headliner but I definitely think with more exposure, they will get there. I would see them again.

On to the main event. They definitely hit the ground running. a flawless setlist, they played everything I wanted to hear, ranging from the fun up tempo songs ''Evacuate'', ''Spitting Fire''  & ''Semi Automatic'' to the slow melodic ''Harm'' and ''We Have The Place Surrounded''.  I will tell you that BR is one of the bands that may sound elementary on record, a combination of good beats but you can't quite pinpoint how they differ from the big names quite yet at this stage in their career as a band. But I had faith. and they are in fact 10 million times more amazing live. It's an experience, a show rather than a band playing consecutive songs.


Frontman Nathan's vocals reminded me of Chris Martin/Coldplay & Morrisey. tight v neck black tee shirt & slicked back Robin Thicke type dark brooding good looks & slicked hair. Combined with the dark reddish/purple lighting and dance hall atmosphere. It made me feel like I could close my eyes and re-live a show from an earlier time, that I may have missed because I was too young to appreciate it.

Glad I got the chance now!-- Just when I thought the show couldn't get any better! They played a cover of Depeche Mode's ''Enjoy The Silence''. The crowd went nuts! Probably one of the best covers, because the style really fit the band. & It's been a hot minute since I've heard that song but instantly remembered it as one of my old favorites, that I'd packed away in my memory like a comfy men's shirt:)

Naturally I had to buy a band shirt to add to my collection. & a Canon Blue cd, so I could further analyze this new band's potential and add more detail to this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment