Tuesday, January 3, 2012

comfort songs

new start to a new year.. I spent the first couple days sick and in bed, not the best way to ring in the new  year but maybe it's not as foreshadowy as one might think.

In my near hallucinatory state, I learned a thing or two by watching season 5 of How I Met Your Mother, basically that things happen as they are suppossed to without interference or our best laid out plans. Surprises happen and you just have to be in the right place at the right time with the right perspective..

This winter season I am big on listening to what I call ''comfort songs'' songs I can listen to and peacefully fall asleep not thinking about anything other than the sound of the singer's voice. Calming influences. Something Optimistic.

Specifically,
VH1, artist of the month Kina Grannis-- In Your Arms- she has in the past done covers of Kings of Leon, Bon Iver, ect but my favorites I have to say are her original songs. catchy melodys and hooks, and the purity and sweetness of the tone in her voice, make even the biggest cynic like me smile.

The Airborne Toxic Event-- The Book Of Love (cover) live at Disney Hall complete with instrumental arrangement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CKat0z07kw


Joshua Radin's album Simpler Times, is an old standby for me, you can't argue with his song the ''Fear You Won't Fall''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiGgoCnmJoI

from the strings, to his whispery voice, to his earnest lyrics, saying all the things I secretly think but can't say out loud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOu0DuxFAT0

What are your comfort songs??

No comments:

Post a Comment