Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bon Iver highlights

* Sound-- considering the venue (UIC Pavillion)  purposed as a basketball arena sound was perfect! you could hear every string, every horn, every whisper of Justin Vernon. Not one overpowered the other, but everything in perfect unison.

* Crowd (I've never seen that many people since Lolla) it made me glad I had seats being the wimp that I am I'd get claustrophobic in the sea of people on the main floor

*Lighting (as it should) enhanced as a means of the song's emotion. Not just for spectacle's sake. It was a 10 person band with Justin Vernon in front, doing everything from keyboards to guitar. he said ''this is a strange band to be in, but the only time it's not strange is when we play in front of all of you'' he kept thanking us the fans for all of our support. Geniunely humbled.

I never wanted it to end. I closed my eyes and basically lived a whole lifetime of flashbacks in my mind signficant moments (no I was not smoking pot!) that's just how powerful his songs are. each one covers a different period of life, falling in love, breaking up,(Skinny Love) loss, life, boredom, (Michigant) isolation, happiness, hope (Blood Bank)community.  No secret his lyrics are hard to follow, but when I was standing there I felt what he felt as he was singing. Combined with the emotional performance of the band. The perfect ensemble.


Setlist:


Songs like Stacks I used to love but as with everything, sometimes you avoid listening to for the memories it brings, but after some time has passed you listen to it again and remember everything you originally loved about it, and put it back in rotation. 

Or with Perth. I remember the first week it was released and it instantly appeared on all of my friend's playlists. From the first few chord's its a genius arrangement!.


The encore was my favorite it made me appreciate songs I'd previously dismissed

Flume
For Emma
Skinny Love
The only thing that ever disappoints me about seeing one of my favorite artists live is knowing that i'm going to go back to my Ipod and the songs are going to sound ''precious'' in comparison. I hope he will be releasing a live DVD/cd in the near future..

I've seen more shows in the past 2 years than I can count, and hopefully many more to come, but I know that spending literally my last $50 for a ticket to that show was worth every penny. Something I'll never see again!

No comments:

Post a Comment