Friday, June 3, 2011

Summer Fun/ Bands B, D & F

I know I'm a little late to jump on the bandwagon but Best Coast is a really amazing band.  I guess I was a little unappreciative of their album ''Crazy for You'' because arguments can be made the sound was intentionally distorted to an annoying degree, and all the songs started to sound the same, akin to Courtney Love/Hole with a more beachy California vibe.
However the band's newly released Itunes Session album they fix everything I disliked about the original album. The sound is less distorted & more realistic because its supposed to be a ''live'' performance,  the message more clear and pop friendly, and I think they did a great job focusing/selecting the best tracks(or my favorites) I should say of the original album with the same price for $7.99. This should definitely be a staple on summer playlists.

you can download their ''Boyfriend'' track here: http://stereogum.com/422942/best-coast-boyfriend-2/mp3s/


my personal favorite is the title track ''Crazy for You'' http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-it-now-best-coasts-crazy-for-you-20100727

also just posted on SKOA is their Loretta Lynn cover featured on Itunes Session:
http://www.somekindofawesome.com/journal/2011/6/3/listen-best-coast-first-city-loretta-lynn-cover-itunes-sessi.html

Now on to Death Cab, so I'm a little bias and I've been talking constantly about each new video/single release and their upcoming concert at UIC Pavillion in August:) (I already purchased my tickets!)

I agree with Ben Gibbard when he says this album is more balanced and focused as opposed to the  random streams of consciousness that usually occurs on Narrow Stairs and Transatlantism. The tone is even different and reflecting on the happier times the band experienced in their hometown, (more on that described later..)
But that in no way means the band has lost all remains of what we as fans always loved about them, the intimacy, the self reflection, acoustic guitar playing. it's all there:) including a performance of ''Cath'' and "I Will Follow You Into the Dark''

Imagine my excitement when VH1 brought back their Storytellers program and Death Cab was featured last week.
http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/657028/cath-vh1-storytellers.jhtml#id=1664579


I also caught the Friendly Fires show at Lincoln Hall last week. The songs from their new album "Pala'' are way better performed live, from the synthesizers to the saxophones, and the lead singer's crazy snake like/Mick Jagger dance moves. I loved it. This album should be your second album staple for summer playlist. Notably, ''True Love'' ''Bring me Back to Earth''

''Show Me Lights''
http://www.mtv.com/videos/friendly-fires/655158/show-me-lights-lightbox-session.jhtml#artist=2811304


Now, for the more radio friendly notable songs (don't normally talk about radio play here because it's so overly saturated to the point where people are sick of hearing it), but even I have succumbed some of the catchy/charming songs

One Republic-Good Life
Tinie Tempah- Written in the Stars


Enjoy the hot weather and be sure to update your Ipods for the season!

 P.S.  One Republic are playing Lincoln Park Zoo in June and Colbie Callait will be there in August  tix $23.. both sound like a good way to spend a cool summer night!

or to beat the heat... you could always head over to one of my favorite concert venues Lincoln Hall (Halsted & Fullerton) they will be showing classics like (The Goonies & ET) tonight/tomorrow and Fast Times & Ridgemont High & Dazed & Confused next week on their 225'' Hi Def screen:)

Happy Friday to you all! Have a great weekend! xoxo

Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment