Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Where to Start? Music assignment

Should I create playlists based of mood?, should I post a video of my new favorite artist tell you why I like them and where you can see them? Comment on other music blogs posts of the day?

Let's start there!

My friend J. gave me a ''music assignment'' after looking at a piece of canvas art on my wall of a girl strolling the city of London. She told me to create a soundtrack for the girl in London- I thought of a Devil Wear's Prada/Anne Hathaway type of girl just tryin to make it in the big city but with a European flair. She gave me parameters

only 15 songs and no longer than an hour! it was tough but I just rolled up my sleeves and went to town. (I have always dreamed of creating a soundtrack for movie/tv since half of the bands I talk about end up on a tv or commercial or somewhere random like that!


So here's what I came up with

if you have questions or want to hear any of them, or send me an email I'll tell you where you can find it.

Hometown Glory-Adele (off of the ''19'' album) her new cd has received rave reviews even guys are commenting on how great and catchy her first single ''Rolling in the Deep'' is. She plays the Riv on 5/24 tix sold out but I'm sure you can grab them on stubhub!

Mirror Conspiracy-Theivery Corporation (got lounge-y jazz vibe, very sexy!)

Here I am-David Morales (DJ Kasade) Remix, (clubby dance vibe, knd of a I am woman hear me roar lyrics

Bright Lights Big City- Cee Lo Green(let's face it this man is a genius! you saw him on the Grammy's right? big Elton John glasses feather headdress & muppets?) that's him. (again dance-y club track) one of my favorites!

Oscar Wilde-Company of Thieves, COT is a local Chicago band with a folky rock sound but that description does not NEARLY do them justice, they cover everything from the Zombies, to Stevie Wonder and still make it their own.  Seen them live twice have not seen that much energy from one single band ever!  and they played Lollapalooza last year! any band who uses a solid literary figure is alright in my book!

Florence & the Machine-Cosmic Love(Playing at the Aragon 6/18-SOLD OUT)- Ah yes one of my Lolla 2011 wishlist bands! I would describe them to previous generations as a modern day Fleetwood Mac. you can disagree with me or come up with a more suitable comparison if you like, but she has a very rock/etheral sound that relies heavily on Florence Welch's deep vocals, and superior storytelling in a song.


Let Go-Frou Frou (also featured in the Holiday movie soundtrack) the scene where Cameron Diaz spots Jude Law in the bar and her heart stops? yeah!

Valerie-Amy Winehouse feat/Mark Ronson-another girlpower anthem with a motown throwback sound and some wicked sax instrumentals

Song for Dan Treacy-MGMT-again very retro sound with random storytelling. and an optimistic tone in the vocals/beat I just heard it and thought of a random girl running around the city like a chicken with her head cut off, trying to stay smiling and stay positive.

I'm Good, I'm Gone,-Lykke Li, (from genius album Youth Novels released in 08) Also, LL is on the cover of Spin Magazine this month, great article. She's a bit off center and I like it. Swedish, kind of Bjork sounding. very much and individualist. ''I'm breaking a sweat but it's all good, cuz I know I'll get it back'' it's positive reinforcement I like it:) She's a breath of fresh air kind of like the xx's were to music last year.

Seven Nation Army-White Stripes combine the steady drum beat/base that gets stuck in your head + Jack White's tortured voice and a girl really can take on an army!


Right Angles-The Paper Raincoat- Cali based duo guy & girl-heavy on string & piano instrumenal and light vocals piano background gets stuck in your head, very pretty. ''the patterns have meaning when you're looking at the right angle, the boundaries are blurry when you're looking at the right angle''


Ours-The Bravery- yeah it was on the Twilight/Eclipse Soundtrack, but its rock, its upbeat, its a let's take on the world type of song. perfect for my '' independent girl taking on the city theme''


After Hours-Shout out Louds (featured on the Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist Soundtrack)
This band sounds like a modern day 80's band vocals, guitar playing, repetive beat, perfect for a pick me up on a rainy day.  I gave their album ''Work'' released last year honorable mention for best new album. ''Play the Game is a great breakup song!


Sometime Around Midnight-Airborne Toxic Event- definitely a rock band but with misleading strings/soft rock beginning, another guy sees girl across bar and heart stops'' but chorus is catchy and screamy:) Tix on sale now for Metro on 5/18! I am DEFINITELY wanting to go to this show! other notable songs to check by them are ''Something New'' and ''Happiness Is Overrated''

Here's the video-to help persuade people to come to the show with me on 5/18!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYPoMjR6-Ao


and a plug for Lykke Li so you can check out her article in Spin this month and check out her new album ''Wounded Rhymes'' released TODAY on Itunes and Spin Mag Cover!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRFybeuLh54


whew! hopefully they won't all be this long:) I promise they won't be!

1 comment:

  1. I loved it! A lot of information, and I am definitely all for new songs and acts.

    Now, time to go scoop the web for the tracks...

    ReplyDelete