Thursday, April 26, 2012

Alabama Shakes live review

3/9/12 Lincoln Hall

Alabama Shakes have gained a lot of attention, press, & admiration before their debut album Boys & Girls was even released!

I first heard the band when they're video for You Ain't Alone on MTV2 one morning while getting ready for work, and I was excited about the bluesy, southern soul sound I think the music industry is missing at the current moment.

Even more surprised to find out that the lead singer was in fact a woman, at first listen I was sure it was a man. (a younger version of an Otis Redding or Al Green). I would hesistate to say that the vocals bring in the intial interest of fans and until you see them live you realize what a cohesive sound/group they present

The range of the vocals was also what impressed me the most from baratone low, to screeching high and with emotion I've rarely seen from artists of this time. I had to see them live and to determine for myself if this band was worth all of the hype.


The Verdict? Yes and No.

I actually had the good fotune to be very front row touching the stage, gazing in awe of the magic I witnessed. But I left somehow disappointed that as a new band, they weren't interacting as much with the fans as I would of liked. Fans already seemed to ''know'' Brittany Howard chanting her name and encouraging her every vocal shift. & the drummer, bassist and guitarist seemed to be having fun, but maybe they were just ''in the zone'' where it's hard to present yourself as accessible to the audience while in the moment. 
Or maybe all the press they received has gotten to their heads.. Would their be a successful band without Brittany? Drummer Steve Johnson and lead vocalist Brittany had met some years ago in a record store while both in other bands punk & rock so I suppose the progression into blues was a product of geography and upbringing in Athens, GA and the influence of the additional members individual style.

See a more indepth article about the back story  and composition of the band here from Spinner:
http://www.spinner.com/2012/03/27/alabama-shakes-stevie-johnson-interview/



Of course only time will tell. But I cannot stress enough, that a band is nothing without their fans, a fact that artists no matter how talented or accomplished should never forget

No comments:

Post a Comment